Masks have been hailed as the most important weapon while we fight this war against the novel Corona virus. We are in this for about a year and masks have become a part of our lives. Every time you step out, mask is probably the most essential thing you should be carrying. So exactly how should you wear mask. It may not seem that complicated, but you may be doing it wrong and thus exposing yourself to germs and putting your health at risk.
But before going into how should you wear a mask let us see why should or why do we actually use masks. Facemasks tend to keep germs at bay. When someone speaks, coughs, or sneezes, small droplets may be released into the air, infecting others. When someone is sick, wearing a face mask will limit the amount of germs they emit and prevent them from getting ill. A facial mask often protects the wearer's nose and mouth from bodily fluid splashes or sprays.
So you should be wearing a mask every time you are out in public or if someone in your house is infected. So let us now jump to how should you wear your face mask.
- Before touching the mask, wash your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer.
- Take a mask out of the packaging and inspect it for any visible tears or cracks on either side.
- Decide which side of the mask should be on top. The top of the mask has a rigid bendable edge that is designed to conform to the shape of your nose.
- Figure out which side of the mask is in front. The coloured side of the mask should be facing away from you, while the white side should be touching your forehead.
- For the kind of mask you're using, follow the directions below.
- Ear loops and Face Mask: Keep the mask in your hands by the ear loops. Make a ring around each of the ears.
- Ties on the Face Mask: Bring the mask up to your nose level and close the links with a bow over the crown of your head.
- Mask with bands: Hold the mask in your palm with the nosepiece or top of the mask at your fingertips with the headbands hanging loosely below your wrists. Pull the top strap over your head until it lies over the crown of your head and bring the mask to your nose height. Pull the bottom strap over your head and down your waist to the nape of your neck.
- Mold or pinch the rigid edge to your nose's form.
- Pull the mask over the mouth and chin from the bottom.
This is about how to put it on, now let’s talk about how to take your mask off.
- Stretch the ear loops or untie the cords behind your ears.
- Handle the ear loops or links only.
- Fold the outer corners inwards.
- Wash the mask in the laundry machine or in another way.
- When extracting, be cautious not to cross your eyes, nose, or lips, and wash your hands immediately.
These are some basic instructions on how to wear and remove your masks. But we should remember wearing a facemask is not the only protection you need, follow all other precautions such as avoid going out, maintain a 6 ft. distance, wash or sanitize your hands regularly. Stay safe and healthy!